2019 School Bond Overview
On February 28, 2019 the School Board unanimously approved a recommendation to seek the maximum allowable bond referendum to include construction of a new state-of-the-art high school.
Subsequently, meetings were held with FEMA, MEMA and public adjusters Abercrombie, Simmons and Gillette who studied the storm damage to the buildings hit by the tornadoes in 2016. FEMA/MEMA indicated that three schools should replace the damaged buildings. The Board of Trustees and the Superintendent decided to request designs for:
- PreK-8 elementary school for up to 900 students in Durant
- 9th grade center for 350-400 students, location to be determined
- 10th-12th grade high school for 700 students, location to be determined
The inaugural meeting of the Steering Committee for the Citizens for the VOTE YES School Bond Referendum was held August 30th. County leaders joined volunteers to create the following committees to address the referendum:
- Media Committee
- Community Leaders Committee
- Schools Committee
- Youth Committee
- Speakers Bureau Committee
- Get out the Vote Committee
- Finance Committee
Early voting begins October 10th. Election Day is Tuesday November 5th. Voting is available at the Holmes County Circuit Clerk’s Office.