Guidance and counseling is an integral part of each school’s total educational program. The Holmes County Consolidated School District’s model is based on the American School Counseling Association National Model: A Framework for School Counseling Programs, which presents a model that helps prepare students for success in academic, career, and personal/social development. The counseling and guidance program helps students achieve their full potential through four program delivery components: School Guidance Curriculum, Individual Student Planning, Responsive Services, and System Support.
Our department includes:
- All Components of School Counseling
- General Education Student Behavior Intervention/ MTSS
- General Education Academic Tier Intervention/ MTSS
- PBIS & Positive Behavioral Interventions
- Dropout Prevention
- Homeless Liaison
Counseling Mission Statement
The mission of the Holmes County Consolidated School District’s Comprehensive Counseling program is to provide comprehensive and productive counseling services for ALL students in collaboration with stakeholders to become a whole learning community.
Counseling, College and Career Readiness Vision Statement
The vision of the Holmes County Consolidated School District’s Comprehensive Counseling program is to assist all students with reaching their maximum potential by developing and implementing a comprehensive program that addresses academic, social, career and personal goals.
Counseling, College and Career Readiness Beliefs
· All students can succeed when properly guided.
· All children are unique and should be treated with dignity and respect.
· Students are best served when all stakeholders collaborate.
· Learning is a lifelong process.
· A comprehensive counseling program is an integral part of educating students.
Each school’s comprehensive counseling program follows the American School Counseling Association Foundation for school counseling. The following are examples of activities that guide the counseling programs throughout the Holmes County Consolidated School District:
· Skills training
· Test taking
· Time management
· Note taking
· Study skills
· Grade level academic sessions
· Individual student planning (Individual Success Plans)
· College Signing Day
· College Fair
· College application day
· FAFSA Day ·
· College Field Trip
· School-wide college awareness (Pk-8)
· Major Clarity
· Career day and classroom speakers
· Job shadowing
· Career related trips
· Resume writing
· School-wide career awareness activities (pk-8)
· Drug-free awareness (Red Ribbon Week)
· Domestic violence awareness
· Suicide prevention
· AIDS/STDs (collaboration with nurse)
· Conflict resolution
· Anger Management
· Self Esteem
· Social Skills Development
- Guidance curriculum focused on the six pillars of character: trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, citizenship, and honesty.
- Positive Behavioral Intervention Supports